Cooks In****25 minutes
- 2 red peppers
- 4 balls good-quality mozzarella cheese
- 400 g ripe cherry tomatoes , halved
- sea salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- extra virgin olive oil
- 1 bunch fresh basil , leaves picked
- My twist on an Italian summer classic.
- Place the peppers directly onto a naked gas flame or under a very hot grill and let them blacken and blister.
- Turn now and then with a pair of metal kitchen tongs. When blackened all over, pop them into a bowl and cover with cling film.
- Leave the peppers to steam for about 10 minutes, then remove the cling film and leave them to cool.
- When they are cool enough to handle, rub off the blackened skin and brush away the seeds from the inside.
- Tear the mozzarella balls into chunks and divide between four plates. Then tear the peppers into strips and divide over the plates of mozzarella. Scatter the tomato halves over the top.
- Season well with salt and pepper and drizzle with olive oil. Tear the basil leaves up and sprinkle them over the salad before serving.
- Tip: Always use fresh basil and the best mozzarella you can find.