Nutrient-packed quinoa, hemp seeds and hemp milk add protein, fiber and essential fatty acids to your morning. Whip up over the weekend, and then enjoy for breakfast during the week.
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1 1/2 cup unsweetened hempmilk, soymilk or almondmilk
- 1 cup pitted dates (about 5 ounces)
- 1/2 cup hulled hemp seeds
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 3/4 cup almond meal, divided
Preheat oven to 350°F. Line the bottom of an 8-inch square baking pan with parchment paper; set aside. In a blender, purée hempmilk, dates, seeds, applesauce, cocoa and salt. Transfer to a large bowl; stir in quinoa and 1/2 cup almond meal. Transfer to prepared pan, scatter remaining 1/4 cup almond meal over the top and bake until firmly set, about 1 hour.
Set aside to let cool for 1 hour, and then carefully run a paring knife around the pan to loosen the edges. Turn out onto a flat surface, remove parchment paper, cut into squares and serve.
To freeze, wrap individual squares tightly and store in the freezer. Thaw in the refrigerator or microwave.