“Properly done old-school egg salads like this are out of this world – delicious! ”
Cooks In*****20 minutes
- 4 anchovies in oil, from sustainable sources
- ½ a lemon
- ½ a bunch of fresh flat-leaf parsley
- ½ a bunch of fresh chives
- 1 dried red chilli
- 4 large free-range eggs
- 2 round lettuces
- 1 red chicory
- 1 white chicory
- 1 x 20 g punnet cress
- SALAD CREAM
- ½ a clove of garlic
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 6 tablespoons rapeseed oil
- 3 tablespoons buttermilk
- Halve the anchovies lengthways, then place in a bowl with 1 tablespoon of the anchovy oil, the lemon zest and juice.
- Pick the parsley leaves, then finely chop along with the chives. Add a little to the bowl.
- In another bowl, peel and crush the garlic, then whisk together with the remaining salad cream ingredients. Season to taste and set aside.
- Make a chilli salt by bashing the chilli and 3 tablespoons of sea salt in a pestle and mortar. Set aside.
- Boil the eggs in salted water for about 6 minutes, refresh in cold water until cool enough to handle, then peel each egg and set aside.
- Pick the inner leaves of the round lettuces. Finely slice the chicory bases, and separate the leaves. Arrange on a serving platter.
- Scatter over the remaining chopped parsley and chives, snip over the cress, then halve the eggs and place on top.
- Sprinkle over some chilli salt and divide the anchovies between the eggs, drizzling over a little of the anchovy marinade too. Serve with the salad cream on the side – so simple, so delicious.