- 1lb phyllo pastry, thawed if frozen
- 1cup butter, melted at room temp
- 3⁄4cup sugar
- 1teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2cups chopped walnuts
- 1⁄2cup water
- 1⁄4cup lemon juice
- 1⁄4cup honey
- Preheat oven to 325. Layer half of the sheets of phyllo one sheet at a time, in a greased 11x7x2 baking pan, brushing each sheet evenly with butter and folding ends over if necessary to fit into pan.
- Keep unused sheets covered with plastic wrap while assembling baklava to prevent drying.
- Mix 1/4 cup of the sugar and cinnamon; stir in walnuts.
- Sprinkle nut mixture evenly over buttered phyllo in pan.
- Layer remaining phyllo, one sheet at a time, over nut mixture, brushing each sheet evenly with butter.
- Cut diagonally into squares, cutting completely through all layers.
- Bake in preheated oven until crisp and golden, about one hour.
- Combine remaining sugar, the water, lemon juice and honey in small saucepan; cook and stir over low heat until sugar dissolves.
- Heat to boiling; pour evenly over hot baklava.
- Let stand loosely covered 8 hours or overnight.