Image copyright: Pinterest
If you’re hunting for the perfect lunch that’ll satisfy your New Year’s resolutions and your taste buds, why not whip up an enticing bowl of spicy noodles that’s chock-full of flavor? Rich in zero SmartPoints® chicken and good-for-you greens including watercress and cilantro, the recipe will satisfy your cravings without the guilt. At only 7 Points® per serving, this dish by cookbook author Alison Roman is so delicious, you might not be able to wait until lunch to dig in!
- 12 ounces boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 8 ounces uncooked soba noodles
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 4 tablespoons unseasoned rice wine vinegar, divided
- 1 jalapeño, seeds removed, finely chopped
- 4 scallions, thinly sliced
- 4 cups watercress
- 1 English cucumber, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup cilantro, tender leaves and stems
- 2 tablespoons toasted sesame seeds
Image copyright: Pinch of yum
- Cook soba noodles in a large pot of salted boiling water until just done, about 5 minutes (soba cooks much faster than regular pasta, so keep an eye on it).
- Drain soba and rinse under cold water to chill them completely.
- Meanwhile, season chicken with salt and pepper. Heat oil in a medium skillet over medium–high heat. Cook chicken, turning occasionally, until it’s cooked through and golden brown on both sides, 8–10 minutes. Transfer chicken to a plate or cutting board and let cool enough to handle.
- Place soba noodles in a large bowl and add soy sauce, 2 tablespoons vinegar and jalapeño in a large bowl. Toss to coat and season with more soy sauce or vinegar, if you like.
- Place scallions, watercress, and cucumbers in a small bowl. Add remaining 2 tablespoons vinegar and season with salt.
- Shred chicken into bite-sized pieces. Divide soba among bowls and top with chicken, watercress mixture, cilantro and sesame seeds.
A serving consists of: 1 3/4 cups cooked soba noodles, 4 ounces chicken, 1 1/2 cups vegetables/greens, 1/2 tablespoon sesame seeds, 1/4 tablespoon vegetable oil
- Category Main Dishes
- Yield 4 Servings