Serves ****4 to 6
Cooks In***45 minutes
Difficulty****Not too tricky
- 500 g mixed mushrooms (portobello, chestnut etc)
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 5 cm piece of ginger
- 1 onion
- ½–1 fresh red chilli
- 500 g ripe mixed-colour tomatoes
- groundnut oil
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon fenugreek
- 1 heaped teaspoon black mustard seeds
- 1 heaped teaspoon medium curry powder
- 1 tablespoon mango chutney
- 1 x 400 ml tin of coconut milk
- 30 g paneer
- 2 limes
- 400 g brown basmati rice
- 1 bunch of fresh coriander
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/400°F/gas 6.
- Roughly chop some of the mushrooms, keeping the smaller ones whole and tearing up the rest. Tip into a large casserole dish and toast on the hob over a medium heat for 5 to 8 minutes, until nutty and really golden.
- Meanwhile, peel and finely slice the garlic, ginger and onion. Trim and finely slice the chilli, then roughly chop the tomatoes.
- Add all of it to the pan except the tomatoes, then add 1 tablespoon of oil and the spices. Toss for 2 minutes, stirring continuously, until the spices are toasted and it’s smelling lovely. Add the tomatoes, mango chutney and coconut milk, stir to combine and season well with sea salt and black pepper.
- Top with bits of the paneer and place in the oven. Cook for 30 minutes until all cooked through and gnarly. Taste and season as required, adding a little lime juice if needed. While the curry is in the oven, cook the rice according to the packet instructions.
- Spoon the curry over the rice, then roughly chop the coriander leaves and scatter over the top. Cut the remaining lime into wedges for people to squeeze over the top.